No apricots in St Georges
In 1909, brothers Malcolm and Wyn Tweedie built their home The Croft and established a 67 acre apricot orchard in Highfield (now St Georges). They planted a wide variety of apricots, most ripening at Christmas time.
Each year a tent village emerged in the paddock for University students seeking holiday work. The fruit business was unsuccessful, and the Tweedie brothers made more from selling their land in the 1920s than they ever did from their produce.