The old Lockwood Store
The Lockwood Store was the centre of village life in Burnside. In 1859, Joseph Lockwood built the shop and a two-room house on the corner of High Street and Lockwood Road. From 1863, Lockwood operated a post office from the store and acted as an agent for the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. The building was later extended, with a second storey added, providing residential accommodation.
In 1989, renovations connected the building to the neighbouring townhouse development.